- Scale Degree is the position of each tone in the scale, e.g:
- Scale Step is distance between two neighbor tones in the scale.
- Half step is the smallest distance between two tones.
- Whole step is made of two half steps.
In C-major half steps are between III and IV tone and between VII and I(repeated) tone, while the whole steps are among the rest of tones.
- Interval is the distance between any two tones in the scale.
- Intervals are: first, second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth (or octave).
- First is interval between two tones with same name, e.g:
- Second is interval between two neighbor tones, e.g:
- Third is interval between three scale degrees, e.g:
- Fourth is interval between four scale degrees, e.g:
- Fifth is interval between five scale degrees, e.g:
- Sixth is interval between six scale degrees e.g:
- Seventh is interval between three scale degrees, e.g:
- Octave is interval between eight scale degrees, e.g: